Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Life As A Dirt Road!

It was late...pitch black...no moon...
      As I turned on the dirt road, my oldest daughter said, "I hate this road! Mommy don't take it! It is scary!"
                Her two younger siblings informed her that Jesus was in our car so she didn't need to be scared.
                       I smiled at their conversation in the back seat and drove slowly down the rutted dirt road.
                             Then I saw it...a big mud hole...I considered turning around and going back...
                                   Instead, I gunned the engine in my Impala and sloshed through the mud hole.
                                       Triumphant!  I told the kids, "The Duke's of Hazard have nothin' on us!!!"
                                           They had no idea who the Duke's of Hazarad were. 
                                                  I thought, "Now it will be easy to get home. The worst is over."

Then I saw it.  Another mud hole only much deeper and bigger.  I knew I couldn't back through the hole I just went through without getting stuck.  There was no turning back!  Once again I gunned the engine and the car plunged into the mud and water.  This time we weren't going anywhere!  My wheels kept spinning and spinning.  Then I remembered what my three year old son said, "Jesus is in the car."  I said His name, "Jesus." I could feel the smallest bit of tire catch on dry gravel.  That was all we needed to pull us out of the mud and mire to dry ground! 

Psalm 40:2 "He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand."

Life is full of mud holes...only Jesus can pull us out!